St Joakim Osogovski

In the proximity of the town of Kriva Palanka, on the north-east slopes of the mountains of Osogovo, elevated at 825 meters above see level, the monastery of St.Joakim Osogovski counts its centuries. 

The monastery complex also includes the two temples of St. Joakim Osogovski (the Large monastery church) and Holy Mother of God (the Small monastery church), the main three-story quarters, the bell-tower with the collective grave at its foot, the so-called passable building, tourist building, summer garden and kitchen, tile-building or watch-house, the newly constructed inn and the residence of the Head of the Macedonian orthodox church.

According to the hagiography of St. Joakim Osogovski, the history of the monastery begins in the 12th century, in the period of the Byzantine emperor Manojlo Komnen (1143-1180). According to this information, the monastery was established by the priest Theodor from Ovche Pole, who, after his wife has passed away, decided to enter a monastic order. Under his monk name of Teofan he is mentioned as the constructor of the very first temple, where he brought and buried saint's relics.

The monastery was called Sarandopor, according to the area where it was built, a name that means Forty dales in translation, and dedicated to the migrator hermit St. Joakim Osogovski, who spent his ascetic life in a cave located in its proximity, at the locality of Babin Dol. The new church was built in the period from 1847 to 1851, and it was financed by guilds, tradesmen and other people from the region of Kriva Palanka.

The famous and renown Macedonian constructor Andrej Damjanov was in charge of its construction, and with his talent and sense for original beauty, managed to create a true artistic creation.

Currency convertor

convert

into